Any antivirus, including Firewall, protects your system from any potential online threats or virus attacks so that you can stay safe from such problems. However, sometimes you may confront a message that states “Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings”.
To get rid of such a problem, try adding Chrome within the Antivirus or Windows exception list. Hence, for more information on how to do the same for different antiviruses, we have come up with this guide. It is difficult to cover the process for all antiviruses, hence we have mentioned the relevant ones for you below.
How To Allow Chrome To Access the Network in Your Firewall or Antivirus Settings?
We have provided the process of adding an exclusion to some antiviruses like Windows Firewall, Avast, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes below for you.
At first, we will be discussing the process of excluding Chrome from Window’s inbuilt antivirus software called Windows Defender.
- Click on the Start button to bring up its menu. Within the search bar, type ‘Windows Defender” and select the “Windows Defender Security Center” from the search result.
- Once you open it, there will be various options to choose from. Click on “Virus and threat protection”.
- Again, go to Menu and move to Virus and Threat Protection Settings. When prompted for administrator access, click on Yes.
- Click on “Add or Remove Exclusions” to exclude folders, extensions, and files. As we are discussing excluding Chrome, we will do it by going to the Chrome folder in the directory.
- Again, click on ‘Exclude a Folder” and go to the Chrome directory. To do that, go to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google” and then choose the folder and save changes.
Although the chances of Firewall blocking Chrome are less likely, despite that, to add into the whitelist you need to follow the steps provided below.
- Press both Windows and S to launch the search bar. Type “Firewall’ inside it and open it from the search result.
- Once the Firewall settings open, select “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall”.
- Now you will be able to see all the applications that are installed on your system. Other than that, its status will be visible just beside it. This will also show the status if they are blocked or not. Checkmark the Google Chrome option.
If at any point you notice that Chrome is not adding to exclusion, go back to the main page. From there, select ‘Turn Windows Defender Firewall On or Off” to turn off the Firewall.
Here we will try to exclude Chrome through Avast Web shield by following the steps provided below.
- Click on “Active Protection” and then on the “Customise’ option of the Web Sheild.
- After that, go to Exclusions and provide the URL address of Google Chrome.
- If this doesn’t work, you can try disabling web shield and check if the problem resolves or not.
Now, we will be discussing the steps for excluding Chrome from Malwarebytes.
- Go to Start and then type “Malwarebytes” within the search bar. You can also look for its icon and click on it to open.
- Once it opens, go to the Malware Exclusion tab and look for “Add folder”. Click on it to open the File Explorer.
- Choose Chrome directory and move to the location for Chrome Folder. The location is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google”. On the location, choose the Chrome folder. Lastly, save the changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Allow Chrome To Access the Network in Windows Firewall?
To access the network in the Firewall, try implementing the steps provided below.
- First of all, go to Control Panel, click on View by and select ‘Large icons.’
- Now, choose the Windows firewall from the list of options. On the left side, click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Click on Change settings and enter the password when asked to do so.
How to Check if Windows Firewall is Running?
To check Firewall and Antivirus settings, make sure to follow the steps given below.
- Press the Windows key so that the Start section can open. Click on Control Panel.
- Once the window opens, select the Security Center link to launch the same.
- Now, check if the Firewall says it’s on. If it does, then Firewall is running without any problem.
How Can I Tell If My Firewall is Blocking the Connection?
Firewalls can block the connection some times. To know whether it is, follow the steps provided below.
- Press the Windows and R keys together to launch the Run window.
- Inside the Run box, type control and then press the Ok button. This will open the Control Panel for you.
- Go to System and Security and then select Administrative Tools. Make sure to open Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security.
- Select Actions and then go to Properties. Choose your profile and then go to the Logging section.
- Clicking on Customize and select Log dropped packets. Click on Yes.
- Ensure if the pfirewall.log path is written inside the Name. Click on Ok.
- Launch File Explorer and go to %systemroot%\system32\LogFiles\Firewall\. Lastly, select the pfirewall.log file and see if there are any blocked ports.