Antimalware service executable a service in Windows OS that runs under Windows Defender. This service is also known as the MsMpEng.exe file. This program helps to scan the malware from the device.
However, this application consumes high CPU usage at the time of scanning. And as a result, the entire system starts to lag or prevents you from using the device.
The most notable part of this problem is that you can stop the High CPU usage of the Antimalware Service Executable Application.
Here, we are about to discuss the prime methods that can help you to resolve the problem without any further hassle.
Possible Methods to Fix Antimalware service executable high CPU Windows 10
In this section, we are providing the possible methods to fix the High CPU usage of the Antimalware Service Executable application. You just have to implement the mentioned methods as instructed below.
Method 1: Reschedule the Windows Defender Application
By just rescheduling the Windows Defender, you will be able to fix the high CPU usage. To reschedule the Window Defender, you have to do the below-mentioned steps:
- Move to the Start Menu and from there, go to the Start Search box. From there, tap on the “Administrative Tools”.
- Now, click on the “Administrative Tools”. Open the “explorer window” now. Choose the Task Scheduler next and double click on it to open the file.
- Go to the address bar, and write “Library/Microsoft/Windows/Windows defender”.
- The Windows Defender Folder will open. Now, tap on the “Windows Defender Scheduled Scan” folder.
- Choose the “Properties”’ option from the drop-down menu. Go to the “Properties” window and then go to the “Continuous” tab.
- Uncheck the “Idle” box along with the “Power” and “Network” option.
- Tap on the `OK” button and go to the Properties window and then move to the “Triggers” tab.
- Tap on the “OK” button next and then choose the “Weekly or Monthly ” option. Select the Day and then tap on the Ok button next.
By just doing this you will be able to reschedule the Windows Defender. And now scan the device and check if the High CPU usage is rising. If you are still getting the identical errors then it is suggested to move to the next mentioned method.
Method 2: Turn Off the Windows Defender Application
You can fix the high CPU usage issue by disabling the Windows Defender. Windows 10 users can easily do that by just using the Local Group Policy Editor and Registry Editor.
Local Policy Registry:
To use the Local Group Editor, you have to implement the below-mentioned steps to do that:
- Hold the Windows and the R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, write “gpedit.msc”. Tap on the “OK” button next to open the Local Group Editor window.
- In that window, search for the “Computer Configuration” and then tap on it. Now, choose the “Administrative Templates” option and then tap on the “Windows Components” section.
- Now, go to the “Windows Defender” and then tap on it.
- Move on to the navigation and in that path search for the settings “Turn off Windows Defender”.
- Double click on the “Turn off the Windows Defender” option next and choose the “Enabled” option.
- By doing this, you will be able to disable the Windows Defender. Tap on the “Apply: button next and tap on the “Ok” button
Thus, you will be able to disable Windows Defender. Now, check if the high CPU usage is resolved.
Use the Registry Editor:
You can disable the Windows Defender using the Registry Editor. To use Registry Editor, you have to implement the below-mentioned steps:
- Hold the Windows and R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, write `Regedit” and tap on the “OK” button next. This will open the Windows Registry Editor.
- In the Registry editor path, write “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender”
- If you notice the registry entry is named asDisableAntiSpyware, double tap on the registry name and then change the value to “1”.
After changing the value, you will be able to mitigate the error. But if you still face the same problem then remove the corrupted updates.
Method 3: Remove Corrupted Updates
The corrupted updates associated with Windows Defender can lead you to the high Cpu Usage issue. In that case, you have to remove the corrupted updates from the Command Prompt Window.
To do that, you have to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Hold the Windows and R keys together to get the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, write “cmd”. Hold the “Shift, Ctrl and Enter ” keys together to run Command Prompt taking the administrative privileges.
- Tap on the “Yes’ ‘ button next to confirm the action.
- When the Command Prompt window will appear on the screen, write “%PROGRAM FILES%\Windows Defender\MPCMDRUN.exe” -RemoveDefinitions -All”.
- Hit the “Enter” button and write “%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Defender\MPCMDRUN.exe” -SignatureUpdate”.
- Hit the “Enter” button again to run the command.
Wait for a while until all the corrupted updates get eliminated. Now, check if you are getting the High CPU usage in Anti Malware application. But if you are still stuck with these errors, then you should proceed to the next mentioned method.
Method 4: Add the Antimalware Service Executable in the Windows Defender Exclusion List
To add Antimalware Service Executable in the Windows Defender list, you have to follow the below-mentioned instructions:
- Hold the Ctrl, Alt and Del keys together. This will open the Task Manager window. In the Task Manager window, you will see a list of processes.
- From that list, search for the Antimalware service executable process and right-click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the “Open file location” option now. You will see the “MsMpEng” process there.
- Go to the address bar and copy the location of the MsMpEng process.
- Now, hold the Windows and I keys together and from there, tap on the “Update And Security” option.
- Go to the “Add an Exclusion” section and from there, go to the “Under Exclusion” option.
- Exclude all files that have .exe, com or .scr process or File type. Next. you have to paste the path MsMpEmng.Exe.
- Go back to the Task Manager and wait for a while. Now, paste the path MsMpEng.Exe. Now, add it and tap on the “OK” button to save the current changes.
You will be able to fix the High CPU usage from the Antimalware service executable process. Now, open the application and scan the malware and check whether there is any battery drainage issue.
If there is no further problem, that it declares that you have accomplished your mission and all the technical glitches are resolved.